U.S. Entry Waiver Services in Edmonton

One convenient thing about living in Edmonton is that, whether you choose to drive south, or head for the airport, the city is centrally located on the continent to hit every major North American destination. And that includes our neighbours to the south, the United States. Alberta, like most Canadian provinces, shares a border with America, in addition to an easy-to-use airport system to travel to cities like New York or Los Angeles.

That ease of travel is, unfortunately, not necessarily extended to everyone. Canadians still have an easier time of it thanks to good relations with the U.S.A. But even for Canada, increased security in the 21st century means that you can’t just drive through the border with nothing but your driver’s license as official documentation. And if you have a criminal record, it’s a huge barrier.

Moral Turpitude In America

A huge number of visitors show up at international airports and at the American border every day to get into the country. Obviously, from a logistics point of view, you want to process these visitors as quickly as possible and prevent long waits and huge lines. However, every Customs & Border Patrol officer, or CBP, has the legal authority to conduct a background check.

Of course, they don’t do this with every single person. That can sometimes mean that even if you have a criminal record, you may have traveled back and forth between the two countries without any issue. Technically, however, what you’ve done is illegal. And if the CBP does conduct a check and finds you have a conviction that falls under their “moral turpitude” qualifications—which include theft and drug crimes—you can be permanently barred from entry into the country again.

Avoid Discrimination, Job Loss, and US Entry Refusal… Let us get you a Clean Record.

Record Suspensions May Not Be Enough

A record suspension can mean that you clear a background check, but in the case of travel abroad, this is only true if that background check is happening for the first time. If you’ve already had a background check at the border or an airport, your criminal record is then downloaded into the CBP database and never needs to check with the CPIC database ever again.

What this means to you is that even if you get a record suspension afterward, the CBP doesn’t care. They’re not checking the CPIC database anymore, they are reviewing their own, and a record suspension will never be reflected in that. At this point, only a U.S. Entry Waiver can solve the problem.

Proper Documentation

If you have a criminal record, but don’t need to travel to the USA for some time, a record suspension may be the perfect solution. But record suspensions can take some time, as much as one or two years once you apply. And if you’re already in the CBP database, you’ll need a U.S. Entry Waiver if you ever want to enter the country again legally.

Pardons Canada can help with securing an Entry Waiver. This is a much better alternative to taking your chances at the border or airport and hoping today isn’t the day the CBP decides to run a background check. A U.S. Entry Waiver or I-194 can get you into the United States 100% legally, every time. We know what documents are required, what references you need, and how to organize your application to make sure it is properly submitted and approved. Contact us for help.